When we say everyone is welcome at St. Joan, we mean it.
Neighbors, friends and parishioners of all ages and upbringings find a home in our pews each weekend. Here, friendships are made over shared meals, service opportunities and communal prayer.
We know busy schedules, small children and Mobile traffic can all put an end to the best-laid plans to attend Mass regularly. Tucked on Elmira Street, St. Joan of Arc Catholic Parish is a convenient option, with opportunities for vigil or morning Mass. We love to see new faces young and old, and we appreciate the energy babies and small children often bring.
If you’re looking for a place to call home, check out parish life at St. Joan of Arc. We’d love to see you on Sunday!
Mon, Wed & Fri
Mrs. Lynn Anderson
Very Rev. Stephen Vrazel
Fr. Cecil Spotswood
Mr. Douglas McEnery
1260 Elmira St.
Bishop Edward Allen established Saint Joan of Arc Parish on October 21, 1920 with Father E.J. Hackett as the first pastor. At first, Mass was celebrated under a canvas shelter on an open lot on the south side of Elmira Street. Later, the men of the parish erected a substantial frame building that served as the church until the present brick building could be built.
On February 22, 1925, Bishop Allen blessed the cornerstone of the present church edifice, and the church building was officially dedicated on February 21, 1926. An adjacent property was purchased and renovated as the parish rectory.
Saint Joan of Arc School was built in 1952 at a cost of $150,000. School opened August 31, 1953 with six classrooms, an office, and cafeteria. There were 90 students, grades 1-4. Two grades were added each year after that until the school had eight grades (two in each classroom). The school was dedicated on March 14, 1954, and was staffed by the Sisters of Mercy. The school reached its peak enrollment in 1956 with 220 children. The school served the parish for 27 years, until it closed in 1980 with an enrollment of 98. The declining population came with the closing of Brookley Field and the migration of families to West Mobile. Since then, the school building has served a variety of groups, including time spent as the Leinkauf School (while that school’s permanent building was being rebuilt after a fire) and later the temporary home of the Mobile Police Academy. Currently, the building is being used as studios for local artists and our parish hall.
A number of priests have served the parish. Father Hackett was transferred to Montgomery in 1927 and was succeeded by Father E.B. Kennedy who served the Parish until 1946 when Father James Madigan began a thirty-one year pastorate. Father Madigan was followed by Father Anthony McDevitt, then Fathers John Robinson, John O’Hara, James Oberkirch, Joseph Walsh, S.J., Stephen Staff, Jim Dane, Bill Folsom, Kenneth Klepac, Warren J. Wall, and Matthew Venuti. Very Reverend Stephen Vrazel has been the Pastor of our parish since 2020.
Father Francis O’Connor served as Father Madigan’s first assistant in 1947. At his departure to the missions of Peru, Father Francis Nolan succeeded him as first assistant, followed by other associate pastors including Fathers Hugh McGuire, Brendan Kellar, Ed Dzienkiewitcz, Adrian Cook, Russell Biven, Eamon Miley, Walter Furan, S.J., Emmanuel Madu, Patrick Madden, Stephen Staff, and Cecil Spotswood.